Children transfer to secondary school at the beginning of Year 7, and applications must be made in September/October of Year 6. There are a range of activities held each autumn for prospective parents/carers to gain additional information for individual schools.
Secondary School Open Evenings
Open Evenings are usually held each autumn for prospective pupils, parents and carers to attend and view schools; due to COVID-19 guidelines this was not possible in 2020 however schools are hoping that they can return in 2021 and the planned dates are as follows:
- All Saints’ RC School – Thursday 14th October 2021
- Archbishop Holgate’s CE School – Tuesday 28th September 2021
- Fulford School – Thursday 7th October 2021
- Huntington School – Tuesday 5th October 2021
- Joseph Rowntree – Thursday 30th September 2021
- Manor CE Academy – Wednesday 29th September 2021
- Millthorpe School – Wednesday 6th October 2021
- Vale of York Academy – Wednesday 13th October 2021
- York High School – Tuesday 12th October 2021
We advise that you check school websites for confirmation of the Open Evening arrangements.
Guide for Parents/School Catchment Areas
Please read the Guide for Parents before applying for a school place, it contains key information on school admissions for parents/carers. You can also find the Guide to School Catchment Areas online.
Make your application for a secondary school place from 12th September 2021. The national application deadline is 31st October 2021.
If you applied online, your application result will be available online from 10.00am on National Offer Day, Monday 1st March 2022. You’ll require your username and password.
If you didn’t apply online, you’ll receive a letter confirming your application result a few days later.
Supplementary Information Forms
You may also need to provide additional information (such as proof of baptism), or complete a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) if you’re applying to a school:
- outside the City of York area, or
- a faith school, such as your local Church of England or Roman Catholic Primary or Secondary school
Check with the school directly if a SIF is required, but always make your school place application to your home Local Authority.