Children transfer to secondary school at the beginning of Year 7, and applications must be made in September/October of Year 6. The national application deadline is 31st October. There are a range of school engagement activities in September and October each year for prospective parents/carers to gain additional information for individual schools.
Open Evenings are usually held each autumn for prospective pupils, parents and carers to attend and view schools. Each school holds their event on a different evening and the planned dates for the Year 6 open evenings in 2023 for starting secondary school in September 2024 are as follows:
- Tuesday 26th September – Fulford School
- Wednesday 27th September – Huntington School
- Thursday 28th September – Milthorpe School
- Tuesday 3rd October – All Saints Roman Catholic School
- Wednesday 4th October – York High School
- Thursday 5th October – Vale of York Academy
- Tuesday 10th October – Joseph Rowntree School
- Wednesday 11th October – Archbishop Holgate’s Church of England School
- Thursday 12th October – Manor Church of England Academy
We advise that you check school websites for confirmation of the Open Evening arrangements.
Guide for Parents/School Catchment Areas
Please read the Guide for Parents when applying for a school place, as it contains key information on school admissions. You can also find the Guide to School Catchment Areas online. We would advise you to keep checking on the City of York Council Admissions site to keep updated with key dates throughout the year.
Make your application for a secondary school place from 12th September 2023. The national application deadline is 31st October 2024 – please ensure you submit your application by this date. Late applications can be made after 31st October, though these may be looked at after other applications.
If you applied online, your application result will be available online from 10.00am on National Offer Day in March. You’ll require your username and password.
If you didn’t apply online, you’ll receive a letter confirming your application result a few days later.
Supplementary Information Forms
You may also need to provide additional information (such as proof of baptism), or complete a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) if you’re applying to a school:
- outside the City of York area, or
- a faith school, such as your local Church of England or Roman Catholic Primary or Secondary school
Check with the school directly if a SIF is required, but always make your school place application to your home Local Authority.