Children transfer to secondary school at the beginning of Year 7, and applications must be made in September/October of Year 6. The national application deadline is 31st October. There are a range of engagement opportunities and activities held each autumn for prospective parents/carers to gain additional information for individual schools.
Secondary School Open Evenings
Open Evenings are usually held each autumn for prospective pupils, parents and carers to attend and view schools; the planned dates for the Year 6 open evenings are as follows:
- All Saints’ RC School – Wednesday 28th September 2022
- Archbishop Holgate’s CE School – Thursday 6th October 2022
- Fulford School – Wednesday 12th October 2022
- Huntington School – Thursday 13th October 2022
- Joseph Rowntree – Wednesday 5th October 2022
- Manor CE Academy – Tuesday 4th October 2022
- Millthorpe School – Tuesday 11th October 2022
- Vale of York Academy – Tuesday 27th September 2022
- York High School – Thursday 29th September 2022
We advise that you check school websites for confirmation of the Open Evening arrangements.
Guide for Parents/School Catchment Areas
Please read the Guide for Parents when applying for a school place, as it contains key information on school admissions. You can also find the Guide to School Catchment Areas online. We would advise you to keep checking on the City of York Council Admissions site to keep updated with key dates throughout the year.
Make your application for a secondary school place from 12th September 2022. The national application deadline is 31st October 2023 – please ensure you submit your application by this date.
If you applied online, your application result will be available online from 10.00am on National Offer Day in March. You’ll require your username and password.
If you didn’t apply online, you’ll receive a letter confirming your application result a few days later.
Supplementary Information Forms
You may also need to provide additional information (such as proof of baptism), or complete a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) if you’re applying to a school:
- outside the City of York area, or
- a faith school, such as your local Church of England or Roman Catholic Primary or Secondary school
Check with the school directly if a SIF is required, but always make your school place application to your home Local Authority.